City and Borough of Juneau
155 S. Seward Street
Juneau, Alaska 99801
tel. 907-586-5240
fax 907-586-5385
http://www.juneau.org

Capital City Fire/Rescue

Working Smoke Alarms Alert Residents of Early Morning Electrical Fire

On Friday, February 3rd, at 4:51am Capital City Fire/Rescue was dispatched to a possible structure fire at 17040 Glacier Highway. Upon arrival firefighters found the residents that had evacuated the two story residential structure. The owners of the structure reported smoke on the first floor and what appeared to be a red glowing electrical junction box that supplied power to the furnace. An investigation team reported light smoke conditions inside the home and had traced a circuit from the electrical panel that appeared to have been heavily charred. Power was shut off to the structure until electrical repairs can be made. During this same time frame AEL&P responded to a partially downed power line crossing Glacier Highway in the immediate vicinity of the incident. Multiple reports of electrical issues were reported by several of the nearby homes. The homeowners stated that having working smoke alarm had aided in alerting them of the fire and to be able to safely evacuate the structure. Capital City Fire Rescue would like to remind everyone that working smoke alarms save lives. Please make sure you test your smoke alarm on a regular basis.



CBJ Image