City and Borough of Juneau
155 S. Seward Street
Juneau, Alaska 99801
tel. 907-586-5240
fax 907-586-5385
http://www.juneau.org

Capital City Fire/Rescue

Furnance fire that was self extinguished.

On Thursday march 5th at 1152, CCFR responded toa reported furnance fire at the 1200 block of 5th st. Doughlas. The homeowner was alerted by a smoke detector and found black smoke in her furnace room. She quickly closed the door and called 911. On arrival we found no smoke or fire coming outside the resident. Our fire crews entered the boiler room and was met by a large amount of steam coming from the room. Our investigation found that a small fire did occur from the boiler but one of the water pipes had opened up and the water extinguished the fire. No fire or smoke damage occurred in the house. The boiler was damaged and will need to be replaced. Approx. $10,000 worth of boiler repair. It was fortunate that the water had leaked out and put the fire out or the fire could have been extended outside the furnace. It would caused fire/smoke damage to the rest of the house. No one was injuried on scene. Submitted by Assistant Chief Ed Quinto



CBJ Image