ASSEMBLY AGENDA/MANAGER’S REPORT
THE CITY AND BOROUGH OF JUNEAU, ALASKA
Monday, March 19, 2007 6:00 PM
Assembly Chambers – Municipal Building
Special Meeting No. 2007-07

Submitted by: _____________________________
Rod Swope
City & Borough Manager

I. FLAG SALUTE

II. ROLL CALL

III. SPECIAL ORDER OF BUSINESS

A. Proclamation – Leonard Begaii
B. Employee Recognition – James Zuelow

IV. MANAGER’S REQUEST FOR AGENDA CHANGES

V. PUBLIC PARTICIPATION ON NON-AGENDA ITEMS

VI. CONSENT AGENDA

A. Public Requests for Consent Agenda Changes, Other Than Ordinances for Introduction

B. Assembly Requests for Consent Agenda Changes

C. Assembly Action

1. Ordinances for Introduction

a. Ordinance 2007-13
An Ordinance Amending The Land Use Code To Provide For Bungalow Lots And Structures, And Amending The Table Of Dimensional Standards.

Exhibit A


This ordinance would amend the CBJ’s Land Use Code to create a new class of small “Bungalow” lot subdivisions. The goal of this ordinance is to provide an incentive to build small, detached, single-family homes in areas served by municipal utilities. Special development restrictions would apply to Bungalow lots including a maximum net floor area of 1,000 square feet and a 300 square foot garage. In single-family residential zones, Bungalow lots could only be created in combination with full size lots that meet regular lot size requirements. In multifamily districts, Bungalow lots could be platted at densities similar to common-wall construction. Approval of the Bungalow Housing ordinance was recommended by the Planning Commission at its February 13, 2007 meeting. The Affordable Housing Commission also endorses the proposal but believes it could be less restrictive.

I recommend this ordinance be introduced and set for public hearing at the next regular meeting.

b. Ordinance 2007-14
An Ordinance Authorizing The City And Borough To Issue General Obligation Bonds In The Principal Amount Of Not To Exceed $11,180,000 To Partially Fund The Construction And Equipping Of The Thunder Mountain High School Including The Completion Of Constructing And Equipping An Auditorium, And Submitting A Proposition To The Voters At The Election To Be Held Therein On June 12, 2007.

This ordinance would authorize placing on the June 12, 2007 special election ballot the question of issuing $11,180,000 in general obligation bonds for paying a portion of the cost of constructing and equipping the Thunder Mountain High School including the completion of constructing and equipping an Auditorium. The $11,180,000 will be combined with $54 million in bonding approved in October 2004 along with other funding appropriated to the project.

The project qualifies for 70% State reimbursement under the State’s School Construction Bond Debt Reimbursement Program. If the State fully funds the reimbursement program, the total annual debt service after State reimbursement, assuming an interest rate of 4.38% and full State funding, would be $310,000. The City and Borough expects to pay 90% or $280,000 of the estimated $310,000 in annual debt service from sales taxes previously identified for School District capital projects. The remaining 10% of the debt service would require an annual property tax levy of less than $1 per $100,000 of assessed value. If no sales tax was used to pay annual debt service, the debt service would require an annual property tax levy of $7.70 per $100,000 of assessed value.

The Assembly Committee of the Whole approved a motion, on February 28, 2007, to forward this bonding proposal on to the Assembly for action.

I recommend this ordinance be introduced and set for public hearing at the next regular meeting.

c. Ordinance 2007-15
An Ordinance Authorizing The City And Borough To Issue General Obligation Bonds In The Principal Amount Of Not To Exceed $12,100,000 To Partially Fund The Construction And Equipping Of The Thunder Mountain High School Including The Completion Of Constructing And Equipping An Auditorium, And Submitting A Proposition To The Voters At The Election To Be Held Therein On June 12, 2007.

This ordinance would authorize placing on the June 12, 2007 special election ballot the question of issuing $12,100,000 in general obligation bonds for paying a portion of the cost of constructing and equipping the Thunder Mountain High School including the completion of constructing and equipping an Auditorium. This bonding proposal includes an additional $920,000 to fund the cost of furniture, fixtures, and equipment. The $12,100,000 will be combined with $54 million in bonding approved in October 2004 along with other funding appropriated to the project.

The project qualifies for 70% State reimbursement under the State’s School Construction Bond Debt Reimbursement Program. If the State fully funds the reimbursement program, the total annual debt service after State reimbursement, assuming an interest rate of 4.38% and full State funding, would be $335,000. The City and Borough expects to pay 84% or $280,000 of the estimated $335,000 in annual debt service from sales taxes previously identified for School District capital project. The remaining 16% of the debt service would require an annual property tax levy of $1.40 per $100,000 of assessed value. If no sales tax was used to pay annual debt service, the debt service would require an annual property tax levy of $8.40 per $100,000 of assessed value. This example of a property tax levy is provided for illustrative purposes only.

The Assembly Finance Committee approved a motion, on March 14, 2007, to forward this bonding proposal on to the Assembly for action.

I recommend this ordinance be introduced and set for public hearing at the next regular meeting.

d. Ordinance 2007-16
An Ordinance Authorizing The City And Borough To Issue General Obligation Bonds In The Principal Amount Of Not To Exceed $4,500,000 To Finance Safety Improvements To Riverside Drive At Thunder Mountain High School, And Submitting A Proposition To The Voters At The Election To Be Held Therein On June 12, 2007.

This ordinance will authorize placing on the June 12, 2007 special election ballot the question of issuing $4,500,000 in general obligation bonds to pay for Safety Improvements to Riverside Drive at Thunder Mountain High School.

The Engineering department is currently working with the State Department of Education and Early Development to determine if these bonds will qualify for 70% State reimbursement under the State’s School Construction Bond Debt Reimbursement Program. If the bonds qualify for State reimbursement, the total annual debt service after State reimbursement, assuming an interest rate of 4.2%, will be $168,000. This amount of debt service would require an annual tax levy of $4.20 per $100,000 of assessed value.

The Assembly Committee of the Whole approved a motion, on February 28, 2007, to forward this bonding proposal on to the Assembly for action.

I recommend this ordinance be introduced and set for public hearing at the next regular meeting.

e. Ordinance 2007-17
An Ordinance Authorizing The City And Borough To Issue General Obligation Bonds In The Principal Amount Of Not To Exceed $5,000,000 To Finance The Construction Of An Artificial Turf Field And Running Track At Thunder Mountain High School, And Submitting A Proposition To The Voters At The Election To Be Held Therein On June 12, 2007.

This ordinance will authorize placing on the June 12, 2007 special election ballot the question of issuing $5,000,000 in general obligation bonds to pay for an artificial turf field and running track at Thunder Mountain High School.

The project qualifies for 70% State reimbursement under the State’s School Construction Bond Debt Reimbursement Program. If the State fully funds the reimbursement program, the total annual debt service after State reimbursement, assuming an interest rate of 4.2%, will be $187,000. This amount of debt service would require an annual tax levy of $4.70 per $100,000 of assessed value.

The Assembly Committee of the Whole approved a motion, on February 28, 2007, to forward this bonding proposal on the Assembly for action.

I recommend this ordinance be introduced and set for public hearing at the next regular meeting.

VII. UNFINISHED BUSINESS

1. Resolutions

A. Resolution 2397(b)
A Resolution Regarding CBJ Participation in the Cities for Climate Protection Campaign.

ICLEI FAQ

Benefits of ICLEI Membership

This resolution would have CBJ join the International Council for Local Environmental Initiatives' Cities for Climate Protection Campaign (ICLEI). It adopts the campaign milestones of conducting a greenhouse gas emissions inventory, establishing a greenhouse gas emissions reduction target, and developing and implementing an action plan. Joining the organization would cost approximately $600. The "milestones" listed would become, essentially, Assembly goals; any action would require the typical Assembly legislative and appropriation process.

I recommend this resolution be adopted.

VIII. ASSEMBLY COMMENTS AND QUESTIONS

IX. ADJOURNMENT

Note: Agenda packets are available for review at the Juneau Municipal Libraries and online at www.juneau.org.

ADA Accommodations Available Upon Request: Please contact the Clerk’s office 72 hours prior to any meeting so arrangements can be made to have a sign language interpreter present or an audiotape containing the Assembly’s agenda made available. The Clerk’s office telephone number is 586-5278, TDD 586-5351, e-mail: city_clerk@ci.juneau.ak.us.

Office of the City Clerk, 155 South Seward Street, Juneau, Alaska 99801
 
home
community
visitors
images
business
jobs
calendar
IMAGE-City and Borough of Juneau